Excessive Heat Watches in North and South Dakotas – Road Trip Warning
If you're headed east through the Dakotas via car, be aware that both states will have Excessive Heat Watches this week. Heat indexes well over 100 degrees are going to be common with humidity an issue as well.
According to the National Weather Service in Fargo/Grand Forks:
EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH FROM 12PM CDT WED UNTIL 7PM CDT THU
- .A HEAT WAVE WILL SETTLE ACROSS THE AREA THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE WORK WEEK.
- HOT AND HUMID DAYTIME TEMPERATURES WILL PRODUCE EXTREMELY HIGH HEAT INDICES.AND PRODUCE HEAT STRESS ON PEOPLE AND ANIMALS.
- OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES WILL ALSO STAY QUITE HIGH MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO RECOVER FROM THE HEAT.THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND FORKS HAS ISSUED AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING.
- HEAT INDEX VALUES... WIDESPREAD 100 TO 110 DEGREE APPARENT TEMPERATURES... DUE TO TEMPERATURES IN THE LOW TO MID 90S... AND DEWPOINTS IN THE LOW TO MID 70S.
- OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES... HIGH HUMIDITY WILL KEEP OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES NEAR OR ABOVE 75 DEGREES.
- TIMING... BEGINNING MIDDAY ON WEDNESDAY AND CONTINUING THROUGH LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON.