New Johnny Cash-Based LP, ‘Forever Words,’ Features Chris Cornell
Johnny Cash: Forever Words includes a wide range of artists -- from contemporaries and cohorts like Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson to more recent artists like Kacey Musgraves and Robert Glasper -- building new songs around poems and other words left behind by Cash after he died in 2003.
Cornell, who died last year, contributes a song called "You Never Knew My Mind" to the project, which will be released on April 6. It was one of the last recordings he made. You can see a trailer above and the album's track listing, plus contributing artists, below.
Johnny Cash: Forever Words is co-produced by Cash's son John Carter Cash, who notes in a press release that he discovered a "monstrous amassment” of lyrics, poems, handwritten letters and more after his father died. Many of the works were first published in the book Forever Words: The Unknown Poems, which served as inspiration for the 16 tracks found on the album.
"Determining the artist for each song was truly a matter of the heart," said John Carter Cash. "I picked the artists who are most connected with my father, who had a personal story that was connected with Dad. It became an exciting endeavor to go through these works, to put them together and present them to different people who could finish them in a way that I believed that Dad would have wanted."
Johnny Cash: Forever Words Track Listing
1. "Forever/I Still Miss Someone" - Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. "To June This Morning" - Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. "Gold All Over the Ground" - Brad Paisley
4. "You Never Knew My Mind" - Chris Cornell
5. "The Captain's Daughter" - Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. "Jellico Coal Man" - T. Bone Burnett
7. "The Walking Wounded" - Rosanne Cash
8. "Them Double Blues" - John Mellencamp
9. "Body on Body" - Jewel
10. "I'll Still Love You" - Elvis Costello
11. "June's Sundown" - Carlene Carter
12. "He Bore It All" - Daily and Vincent
13. "Chinky Pin Hill" - I'm With Her
14. "Goin', Goin', Gone" - Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. "What Would I Dreamer Do?" - The Jayhawks
16. "Spirit Rider" – Jamey Johnson