Tree Planting Safety Tips
We all love the trees in our beautiful Bozeman neighborhoods. They provide shade, branches for tire swings, and colorful leaves. While trees are well loved in this town, we want you to be aware trees that are not properly planted or maintained can pose serious safety hazards. Here are a few tips to ensure your trees are enjoyed for generations to come.
• Be aware of buried utility lines by calling 811 before
you dig – it’s the law.
• Know where the power lines are on your property.
• Before planting, find out how the tree will look and
grow in 1, 10 or even 50 years.
• Trees with a mature height of 30 to 40 feet should
be planted at least 15 to 20 feet from the outside
of a power pole.
• Trees should not be planted within 25 feet of a
natural gas transmission line.
• Branches that touch power lines can cause
• Before you trim a tree near a power, call NorthWestern Energy at 888-467-2669