Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi
We all love homemade pasta, but making your own can be intimidating. Luckily, this sweet potato gnocchi is as delicious as it is easy, no prior pasta-making experience required!
But really, the only tricky part about this recipe is creating those ridges on the gnocchi. It takes practice and even I don’t have it down pact. I made my gnocchi too big which made it a little more challenging to create those ridges, but if you follow the recipe you’ll have the perfect sizes – about 2cm.
The trick to making the ridges is using the… pricks? Prongs? Tine? Either way, you want to press and roll your gnocchi along the prongs of the fork to get those ridges. I find using your thumb works really well!
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- Line a baking pan and bake your sweet potato for 50 minutes in the oven at 400F. Once finished baking and it's cool enough to handle, cut it open and scoop out the sweet potato into a large bowl. Let it cool.
- Add your flour to the sweet potato and using either your hands or a rubber spatula, mix until it is combined. Form into a dough ball.
- Transfer your dough ball on to a floured surface. Flour your hands and knead your dough 2-3 times. You want it to stay soft and fluffy.
- Cut your dough ball equally into fours. Roll them out into 1-inch thick ropes. Continue to flour your hands and your work surface as needed.
- Cut your dough ropes into 2cm pieces. To create the ridges in a gnocchi press and roll your gnocchi along the pricks of the fork. This can be a little tricky but the more practice you get, the better you will get.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Transfer your gnocchi dough into the pot and boil until cooked. You'll know they're finished when they float to the top.
- Once finished boiling, you can either serve this right away with your favorite pasta sauce or quickly fry them in the pan.
- When frying it, heat up 2 Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat. Cook your gnocchi for 3-4 minutes or until it starts to brown. Turn over and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and eat them as is or serve them with some pasta sauce! Enjoy!
Nutritional Note per serving: (½ of recipe)
492 calories, 17g protein, 100g carbs, 18g fiber, 2g fat