Sen. Tester and Sen. Walsh want Montanans to know how to prepare for floods and where to find the assistance they need to recover from – and stay safe during – flood events.

“When folks are facing tough times, it’s important to lend a hand and make sure they know where to get the support they need,” Tester said.  “That’s the Montana way, and I encourage all impacted Montanans to take a close look at these resources.”

“We are seeing the increased impacts of flooding and drought across the state of Montana, and I encourage all Montanans to make sure that they are safe and know where to get help,” Walsh said.  “Make sure you, your family and neighbors are prepared and use these resources to get information and assistance.”


Affected Montanans should first call the Montana Department of Emergency Services (DES) office (406-324-4777) to report losses and damages.  They can also call their local DES office to get sandbags or information on flooding in their county and to report flooding.  Producers can call their local county extension agents for help.

Montanans can also contact the Montana Department of Revenue to apply for tax relief for loss due to natural disaster by visiting:

The Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) helps farmers and ranchers to repair damage to farmlands caused by natural disasters.  More information can be found here:
The USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has multiple Emergency Watershed Protection programs that help individuals and conserve natural resources by relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods among other natural disasters.  More information can be found here:

The Red Cross also has resources to help Montanans safely repair their homes after a flood.  Visit: also provides information about preparing for an emergency