On Thursday, August 1, at approximately 10:20 a.m., Bozeman police responded to a report of an unconscious child on Saxon Way.

When officers arrived they immediately located a 6-month-old child laying face down in a crib.

One officer immediately began performing CPR for a period of time until a second officer then assisted. Bozeman Fire and American Medical Response arrived shortly after and assumed responsibility of performing CPR.

An additional officer arrived at the scene and began speaking with an adult male, Vincent Leroy Garbe.

Garbe was escorted from the residence and officers observed him to be visibly upset with tears in his eyes.

Garbe's initial statement to police included "I'm not supposed to be around him because I have a previous CPS thing but I'm about to get him back."

Police learned that approximately 5 months ago, Garbe was ordered to stay away from the child after consuming alcohol and then falling on the child, fracturing the baby's neck.

Garbe told officers that the child's mother had placed the boy in the crib around 6:00 a.m. Thursday morning before leaving for work, leaving the baby in Garbe's care.

Garbe reportedly told police that he did not hear the child all morning and eventually went to check on the baby, where he found the boy face down and limp.

Bozeman PD performed a sweep of the home and reportedly found several glass bongs lying on the floor of the upstairs master bedroom.

Garbe told police that after finding the child unresponsive, he called a friend several times before calling 911 between 5-10 minutes after discovering the unresponsive child.

Garbe agreed to be transported to the Law and Justice Center to speak more about the incident.

Garbe said that due to the previous incident involving alcohol that he was only permitted to be around the child under CPS supervision.

He went on to tell authorities that after he initially woke up on Thursday morning, he went to the garage and "took two or three hits of marijuana" before returning to a bedroom where the baby was in the crib. Garbe said he then fell back asleep until approximately 9:30 a.m.

Garbe told officers that he went downstairs for nearly 40 minutes and then went to check on the child at 10:10 a.m. He said that the baby appeared to be laying in an awkward position, was pale and the body was limp.

Garbe said that he splashed water on the child in an attempt to wake him. According to his statement, it was at this point that Garbe called a friend several times before calling 911.

Garbe also stated that he may have smoked marijuana at some point during the night as well and if he awoke at some point he couldn't recall.

The child was transported to Bozeman Deaconess Hospital where resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful. The baby was pronounced dead at 11:10 a.m.

Gallatin County Deputy Coroner Vanessa Gunnell stated that she believed the child died after 6:30 a.m., Thursday morning.

Based on the totality of circumstances, Garbe was charged with Negligent Homicide.

More From The Moose 94.7 FM