Eagles Contribute New Cover Song to Dan Fogelberg Tribute Album
The Eagles are among the artists featured on the upcoming album A Tribute to Dan Fogelberg, which is released on Nov. 17 and available for pre-order now via Amazon and iTunes.
The album features new takes on some of Fogelberg’s best-known songs, with the Eagles covering “Part of the Plan," as well as their new recruit Vince Gill delivering “Longer” with Amy Grant. The LP also contains recordings by Garth Brooks, Train, Boz Scaggs, Jimmy Buffett and others.
Fogelberg, who died in 2007 after a three-year cancer battle, was acclaimed for merging rock, pop, folk, jazz and classical music into his work. He’s best known for his hits “Longer,” “Leader of the Band” and “Same Old Lang Syne,” all of which were released in the early ‘80s.
Record label BMG said: “Dan Fogelberg, one of the most popular artists of the ‘70s and ‘80s, was a key component of the golden age of the singer-songwriter. His second album, the Joe Walsh-produced Souvenirs, hit the top 20 and led Dan into a three-decade run that would include 11 platinum and two gold albums.”
Gill added: “I always loved Dan’s music, and getting the opportunity to sing on the High Country Snows record, over 30 years ago, is still a great memory for me.” Richie Furay commented: “Being a part of this tribute album is another special honor for me, and I certainly hope the guys in the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and I did his song, ‘Run for the Roses,’ in a way he would be proud of.”
A Tribute to Dan Fogelberg was produced by his widow Jean, Norbert Puthman, Chuck Morris and lifelong friend and manager Irving Azoff. Those who pre-order the album will receive an instant download of “Hard to Say” by Scaggs and “Longer” by Gill and Grant. A musical theater show entitled Part of the Plan, featuring Fogelberg’s music, premiered in Tennessee last month.
A Tribute to Dan Fogelberg – track list
1. “Phoenix” – Garth Brooks
2. “Nether Lands” – Donna Summer
3. “Better Change” – Michael McDonald
4. “Longer” – Amy Grant/Vince Gill
5. “Same Old Lang Syne” – Train
6. “Don’t Lose Heart” – Dobie Gray
7. “Old Tennessee” – Fool’s Gold/Denny Henson and Tom Kelly
8. “As the Raven Flies” – Casey James
9. “Sutters Mill” – Randy Owens
10. “Run for the Roses” – The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with Richie Furay
11. “Hard to Say” – Boz Scaggs
12. “Part of the Plan” – Eagles
13. “There’s a Place in the World for a Gambler” – Jimmy Buffett
14. “Leader of the Band” – Zac Brown
Masterpieces: The Very Best Albums From More Than 100 Classic Rock Acts