5 Best Made In Montana Cheeses That Will Make Locals Proud
I find it odd that Montana isn't known more for its dairy products. This state is home to some of the finest cheeses that money can buy. Clean air, healthy cows, and talented artisans make Montana cheese something worth exploring.
What kind of cheese is made in Montana? Quite a few varieties are made right here in the Big Sky State, including some of my favorites. Chevre, ricotta, feta, colby, cheddar, Cabra Al Vino, bjerg, mozzarella with both goat’s and cow’s milk, etc.
The cheeses and other products that you can get from Amaltheia are incredibly well-loved and readily available. Their small tubs of goat cheese chevre are some of my favorite culinary treats. They're fantastic for road trips, parties, noshing by yourself, whatever. In addition to cheeses, Amaltheia grows fantastic produce, pork, pork fat and compost. (It is a working farm, after all.) Products can be found at retailers and farmers markets.
- Flathead Lake Cheese - Polson, Montana
- Big Sky Cheese - Great Falls, Montana
- M&S Meats - Rollins, Montana (cheese curds) - This business has been around since 1945. Known for their meat and jerky products, they also have cheese curds which are so popular they're often out of stock.
- Lorelei Hallock - Paradise Valley, Montana - This is the only 'brand' of Montana made cheese that I haven't actually tried myself, but I'm so in love with this story that I'll find her soon. Truly, do yourself a favor and read some of her blog at the link above. It makes you want to be a farmer and proud to be a Montanan.
I am working on getting my creamery built on land at the Grade A dairy I work with to sell my cheese commercially. My focus is fresh cheese, but I love a good Manchego! My cheese adventures really started with my goats, so that is how I became a dairyman…
Where can you purchase these Montana made products? Thankfully, many places. Local retailers, websites, and farmers markets are packed with these choices and more. Just a few local stores that are "Made In Montana Heavy" are:
- Joe's Parkway Market in Bozeman, Montana
- Mavens Market in Bozeman, Montana
- Chalet Market in Belgrade, Montana
- Bozeman Winter Farmers Market
- Bozeman Farmers Market
- Livingston Farmers Market
- Gallatin Valley Farmers Market