Here’s What You Need to Know About ‘Can the Griz’ 2022
The 23rd Annual 'Can the Griz' food drive kicks off on November 5. Here's what you need to know about the friendly competition between Montana State University and the University of Montana.
We are excited to be a part of this year's 'Can the Griz' Food Drive. The competition begins Saturday, November 5, and ends Saturday, November 19. The rapid growth that Bozeman has experienced recently has resulted in additional stress for the Gallatin Valley Food Bank. Last year, MSU and the Bozeman community donated 192,816 pounds of food plus a record $449,657.66 to HRDC's Gallatin Valley Food Bank. The Bobcats have successfully canned the Griz for 18 of 22 years!
Unfortunately, the increased need throughout the Gallatin Valley has left many shelves at the food bank nearly empty. Each year, the Cats and the Griz compete in an off-field competition to see which community can collect the most food donations for their local food bank. The winner will be announced at halftime of the highly anticipated 'Brawl of the Wild' which will take place in Bozeman on November 19 at Bobcat Stadium.
It's always fun to beat the Griz both on the field and off, but this year there is a sense of urgency. Many residents in the Bozeman area are really struggling, and resources at the Gallatin Valley Food Bank are wearing thin. We are hoping that the Bozeman community will step up in a huge way to help families in need.
Here are some ways you can donate:
- Bring nonperishable food donations to collection locations throughout Bozeman to support those in need in Gallatin County. A list of participating locations can be found HERE.
- Monetary donations may be made directly to the HRDC's Gallatin Valley Food Bank. Each dollar donated counts as 1 pound of food!
- Bobcat supporters can designate their contribution to MSU by telling the HRDC's Gallatin Valley Food Bank or collection location host that their donation is for the Can the Griz food drive.
Townsquare Media radio stations will be collecting donations at Town & Country Foods locations throughout the Gallatin Valley on Friday, November 11.
- Jesse James from MY 103.5 will be broadcasting live and collecting donations from 12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. at Town & Country Foods in Belgrade.
- Will G. from 96.7 KISS FM will be broadcasting live and collecting donations at Town & Country Foods on S. 11th in Bozeman from 12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Derek & Megan from 100.7 XL Country will be broadcasting live and collecting donations beginning at 7:00 a.m. at Town & Country Foods on 19th Ave. in Bozeman.
- Michelle Wolfe and 94.7 the Moose have partnered with the Bozeman Fire Department. Michelle and BFD will be collecting donations from local businesses around Bozeman and delivering them to the Gallatin Valley Food Bank.
For more information about the 23rd Annual 'Can the Griz' Food Drive. click here.