Reality Check: How much Bozeman parking ticket envelopes cost and other stuff you bought
It's expensive to be a city like Bozeman. From envelopes and shop towels to guns and traffic lights...have you ever even LOOKED at what the City of Bozeman spends money on each week? No? Good thing I do.
It's just because I'm a complete dork at heart and what we as a community spend our money on matters to me. Once you start glancing at accounts payable, you'll check back every once in a while. It's sort of addicting.
Don't get me wrong...I didn't find anything offensive or out of place in the latest round of bill paying. It's just interesting to actually see where the money goes. Are there ways to save money? Sure. But I'm not doing this to rag on anyone. It's just for informational purposes.
(Although I will say we're now lodging candidates for high rank City employee positions at the most expensive hotel in town. I get it, you want to make a good impression. But those rooms are super pricey.)
So, what did we spend money on last week? Here's a tiny sampling:
- (10,000) PARKING VIOLATION ENVELOPES: $3,104.00
- LIGHT BARS, GUN RACKS, WINDOW BARRIERS & ACCESSORIES FOR 2 PATROL CARS: $26,920.72
- BILLING STATEMENT STUFFER FOR MULCH OUTREACH (12,250): $1,656.99
- Various gas/fuel purchases including #2 dye diesel and fleet fuel cards: $11,679.98
- Sand/Salt Materials (several orders): $30,194.26
- TOW/IMPOUND for evidence, 3 vehicles: $330.00
- Northwestern Energy (everything from City buildings and shops to traffic lights): $47,926.53
- LEGAL COUNSEL FOR BOZEMAN SOLVENT SITE: $2,653.90
- Lifeguard uniforms: $2,428.98
- COFFEE GRINDER FOR LAW AND JUSTICE CENTER: $59.99
- Verizon Wireless (Month of April COB): $21,092.92
So, there you go. A small glimpse of how expensive it is to run a city. You can take a look for yourself, week by week HERE with the City of Bozeman accounts payable. Enjoy!