UPDATE: Old Baldy Fire in Tobacco Root Mountains
This fire is in steep terrain and is currently about 130 acres in size. It's a wildfire, not a prescribed burn located north of the Ruby Valley.
There is a National Forest System Area Closure in effect for this wildfire. This order will be in effect from August 3rd, 2020 and will remain in effect until December 31, 2020 or until the order is rescinded, whichever occurs first according to the Forest Service. (According to the info below, they expect to have the fire contained by October 1st.)
- Current as of 8/6/2020
- Incident Type Wildfire
- Cause Lightning
- Date of Origin Saturday August 1st, 2020 approx. 08:00 PM
- Location Eight (8) miles East of Twin Bridges, MT in the Tobacco Root Mountains
- Approximately 6 miles northeast of Sheridan, MT
- Total Personnel: 86
- Size: 129 Acres
- Estimated Containment Date: Thursday October 1st, 2020
- Fuels Involved: Timber (sub-alpine fir and lodgepole pine), grass
- Moderate fire behavior with single tree torching. The fire is creeping (burning with a low flame and spreading slowly)
- For specific questions regarding this fire, the Incident Contact is Amy Baumer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 208-756-7853
- Hours: 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
Hot shot crews continue to make good progress working along the eastern and western edges of the fire.
The fire is in steep terrain with presence of numerous snags, firefighters are constructing indirect line and are engaging in direct line construction where safe to do so.
The InciWeb webpage is invaluable for information during fire season. You can find specific details on Montana fires AND fires burning in other states. You'll find a nationwide map with markers of all currently burning fires.