Best Dive Bars to Visit in Montana: Part 3
Grab your designated driver, a couple of buddies, and check out a few more of Montana's best dive bars.
Enjoying a cold beer or your favorite cocktail at a small-town Montana bar is one of the best ways to get to know Montana as a whole. Towns are not all the same, 'dive bars' aren't necessarily a real dive, and bartenders are still some of the most interesting pseudo-mayors of their local area.
NOTE: specific details about the bar choices below were gathered from personal experience, online reviews, Facebook pages and business websites. Always double check details like bar hours, live music or menu items.
The Mint Bar in Whitehall, MT: (1 East Legion Avenue, Whitehall) - Locals and travelers alike enjoy this place. It's not pretentious in any way, has a great drink selection, and holds onto bar traditions like Shake-a-Day. Opens daily at 2pm.
- "We love this place! So down to earth, welcoming, and feels like family. We only get to come once a year, but it's a must on our travels."
- "The Mint Bar is an authentic small-town bar with a pleasant atmosphere & two pool tables, if one should feel so inclined, as well as a number of gaming machines."
Two Bit Saloon in Whitehall, MT: (123 West Legion Avenue, Whitehall) - Another good choice in Whitehall, especially if you want food and/or live music. Opens at 11am daily. Food items like steaks, burgers, sandwiches, and yummy fried things for apps. Link above goes to their Facebook page, or go here for their website.
- "Easy, fun staff. Great steak, and we are steak snobs. Good green salad. Warm, cozy, & comfortable. A little loud, but that's just the sound of folks having a great time."
- "Typical rustic small town local bar and restaurant. Steaks are good. Fried bar food. Dive bar."
Lost Cabin Bar/The Vault in Twin Bridges: (109/111 south Main Street, Twin Bridges) - A classic small town bar, loved by locals and tourists alike. There's often live music in The Vault. Hosts specialty bashes on holidays like Halloween. Generally open at 11am, but 3pm on Mondays.
- "My first time there and the people were very friendly and the service was great."
- "Lovely old bar, great bar tender, nice atmosphere, local hangout."
Bale of Hay Saloon in Virginia City, MT: (344 West Wallace, Virginia City) - This joint is an absolute classic and known as Montana's oldest watering hole, established in the 1860s. Their FB page states that they're open daily during the regular season from 9:30am to midnight. Live music, food, great town. This one is a must-stop if you've never been there.
- "Has grill options...they serve cheese burgers, hamburgers, Johnsonville brats, italian sausage sandwiches, beef pasties. There's also patio seating or you can have you meal at the bar. Not interested in alcohol?...no prob....they have non-alcoholic beverages."
- "This bar is an incredible little piece of western history. If you go there as a tourist, be generous to the locals and have a good time!"
NOTE: We also like the Pioneer Bar in Virginia City. It's such a small town that if your travels bring you there, walk the streets and enjoy the history within this gem of a Montana small town. "We stop every time in Virginia City. Beautiful old wood, ceiling. Comfortable."