Flood Warning for Flathead River At Columbia Falls
Possible flooding issues continue across the state with this Flood Warning for the Flathead River in northwest Montana.
Importantly, this particular Warning is in effect until further notice, as conditions in the area can change very quickly. It just depends what Mother Nature throws our way.
This particular advisory has been in effect for a couple of weeks but is STILL IN EFFECT for safety's sake. Below is the exact current verbiage from the NWS on Tuesday, June 21st, 2022:
According to the National Weather Service:
- FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
- WHAT...Minor flooding is occurring and minor flooding is forecast.
- WHERE...Flathead River At Columbia Falls.
- WHEN...Until further notice.
- IMPACTS...At 13.0 feet, farmers' crops adjacent to the Flathead River are inundated with water. At 14.0 feet, flooding of farmers' crops adjacent to the Flathead River is likely.
- Sections of the Steel Bridge Road become inundated with water and impassable.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS... At 2:45 PM Sunday, June 12th the stage was 14.0 feet.
- Recent Activity...The maximum river stage in the 24 hours ending at 2:45 PM Sunday was 14.0 feet.
- Forecast...The river will oscillate above flood stage with a maximum value of 14.5 feet Monday, June 13.
- Flood stage is 13.0 feet.
- Flood History...This crest compares to a previous crest of 25.6 feet on 06/09/1964.
What are the differences between the levels of advisory for flooding that the National Weather Service puts out?
Flood Warning: Take Action! A Flood Warning is issued when the hazardous weather event is imminent or already happening. A Flood Warning is issued when flooding is imminent or occurring.
Flood Watch: Be Prepared: A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for a specific hazardous weather event to occur. A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for flooding. It does not mean flooding will occur, but it is possible.
Flood Advisory: Be Aware: An Flood Advisory is issued when a specific weather event that is forecast to occur may become a nuisance. A Flood Advisory is issued when flooding is not expected to be bad enough to issue a warning. However, it may cause significant inconvenience, and if caution is not exercised, it could lead to situations that may threaten life and/or property.