FRIDAY: Red Flag Warning for Madison, Butte/Silverbow Counties
Continued temperatures in the 90s along with gusty winds and afternoon thunderstorm activity puts some Montana counties under a Red Flag Warning until at least Friday evening. Counties futher east are facing continued temps in the 100s for several more days.
There is a high likelihood that these Red Flag Warnings will be extended and/or expanded to additional counties in the coming days. This weekend, temperatures across the state of Montana are expected to be in the mid-90s.
East/Central Montana is facing even MORE dangerous conditions than the southwest.
- WHAT: AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT SATURDAY NIGHT.
- DETAILS: Dangerously hot temperatures of 100 to 106 degrees are forecast for several consecutive days. Temperatures will only cool off to around 70 degrees at night.
- WHERE: Treasure, Custer and Northern Rosebud counties of Montana.
According to the National Weather Service:
- WHAT: A RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 8 PM THIS EVENING.
- WHERE: Affected area: Fire Zone 110 (Deerlodge/West Beaverhead). Fire Zone 111 (East Beaverhead) Please see Fire Zone Map below for further details on where Montana Fire Zones are located. Warnings from government agencies will often include information about 'zones' rather than cities or counties.
- WINDS: 20mph to 30mph are expected. 40mph to 50 mph gusts are possible with any afternoon storm activity in these counties.
- DETAILS: Gusty and erratic outflows developing from high based scattered thunderstorms and frequent lightning.
- Thunderstorms are expected, both wet and dry storms. Lack of rain and continued low humidity has created dangerous fire conditions in the area.