It’s Not All Insanity: Montana Has Lots of $50K Houses For Sale
Sure, you'll only find 'reasonably priced' homes in much smaller towns than Missoula, Bozeman or Billings but THEY DO EXIST in Montana. You just need to know where to look...and be a bit flexible with your home location. Joplin, anyone?
To be honest, I have no idea where Joplin, Montana is but I'm about to look it up. Same goes with several of these small towns listed below, but at least I've HEARD of most of them.
After finding them all on a map of Montana, I'm also going to find something positive to share about living in each one. (You can't suggest somewhere move to a place that completely sucks, right?)
- GLENDIVE, MT: $49,900
- 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom
- 924 square feet
- 2,614 square foot lot
- Built in 1910
- Listed by: Lisa Kjelstrup with United Country Montana Dakota Real Estate
- What's great about Glendive? It's a railroad town and is home to Dawson Community College. Located on the eastern side of Montana, the Yellowstone River runs through town. There's also a 9-hole golf course in town.
- Cut Bank, MT: $50,000
- 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom
- 1,304 square feet
- 6,970 square foot lot
- Built in 1930
- Listed by: Christian Stone with Keller Williams Northern Montana Realty
- What's great about Cut Bank? The population is approximately 3,000. Another railroad town, but Cut Bank is located in northwestern Montana, on the east side of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation. Lots of Lewis & Clark history. There's a 9-hole golf course in town with another down the road a few miles in Shelby. They surprisingly have a dispensary just outside of town (Mommaz Dispensary).
- Malta, MT: $50,000
- 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom
- 1,214 square foot
- 0.27 acre lot
- Built in 1938
- Listed by: Kirsten Voegel with United Country Northwest Realty & Auction
- What's great about Malta? Malta sits on the Milk River in the north central part of Montana. There's a wetlands refuge home to 260 species of birds. Malta is also one of the “dinosaur capitals" of America.
- Saco, MT: $55,000
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom
- 4,860 square foot LOT
- Built in 1915
- Listed by: James Knudsen with Missouri River Realty
- What's great about Saco? It's VERY close to the Bowdoin National Wildlife Refuge on the hi line. Several historic sites and Sleeping Buffalo Hot Springs & Resort is located in Saco. (It's the only hot springs along Montana's 'northern tier'.
LOOK: Here are the best lake towns to live in
Many of the included towns jump out at the casual observer as popular summer-rental spots--the Ozarks' Branson, Missouri, or Arizona's Lake Havasu--it might surprise you to dive deeper into some quality-of-life offerings beyond the beach and vacation homes. You'll likely pick up some knowledge from a wide range of Americana: one of the last remaining 1950s-style drive-ins in the Midwest; a Florida town that started as a Civil War veteran retirement area; an island boasting some of the country's top public schools and wealth-earners right in the middle of a lake between Seattle and Bellevue; and even a California town containing much more than Johnny Cash's prison blues.