THURSDAY: Red Flag Fire Weather Warning for SW Montana Counties
Madison, Jefferson and Silver Bow Counties are under a Red Flag Warning for fire weather through at least Thursday night. The Warning also includes areas into Idaho.
A Red Flag Warning means warm temperatures, very low humidities, and stronger winds are expected to combine to produce an increased risk of fire danger.
- WHAT: A RED FLAG WARNING IS I N EFFECT FROM NOON THURSDAY TO 9 PM THIS EVENING.
- WHERE: Affected area includes Fire Zone 110 (Deerlodge/West Beaverhead). Fire Zone 111 (East Beaverhead). Please see the Fire Zone Map for Montana below for further details on what areas are included in this warning.
- AREAS INCLUDED: Ennis, Virginia City, Boulder, Butte, Anaconda, Deer Lodge, Philipsburg, Jackson, Bannack, Dell, Lima and areas into Idaho.
- Impacts: Strong winds with low humidity will produce critical fire weather conditions.
- Winds: West winds shifting to the northwest during the afternoon 15-25 mph, with gusts 30 to 35 mph.
- LOW HUMIDITY: 8 to 14 percent.
With these types of dangerous fire conditions, it's crucial to be fire aware. Do not start any fires, even within "allowed" areas and certainly do not throw cigarette butts out of any car windows.
High temperatures, gusty and unpredictable winds, along with very low humidity create these Red Flag Warning conditions.
Although this particular warning lasts only until Thursday evening, temperatures are expected to be very high this coming weekend. It is expected that more warnings for fire weather will be issued, and that those warnings will cover far more of Montana than we have this afternoon.