-30 Wind Chill Possible: Western Montana Through Thursday Morning
Perhaps our last dose of REALLY COLD wind chill factors? We can't be certain around here but western Montana is in for a dangerously cold spell overnight Wednesday through Thursday morning.
Thankfully, this won't be a particularly long spell of dangerously cold temperatures. (Heck, we might be in the 50s by next Monday!!!) But if you'll be traveling during this Advisory time period, it's important to be prepared.
According to the National Weather Service:
- WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM THURSDAY.
- WHAT...Very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as low as 30 below zero.
- WHERE...Portions of central and southwest Montana.
- WHEN...Until 11 AM Thursday.
- IMPACTS...The dangerously cold wind chills could cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 10 minutes.
- Use caution while traveling outside. Wear appropriate clothing, a hat, and gloves.
Surprisingly, Fergus, Blaine, Chouteau and Hill Counties may not get QUITE that cold but still may experience -20 wind chill factors.
Well over a dozen counties are under some sort of Wind Chill Advisory until approximately 11am or noon on Thursday. Rural area can be especially dangerous, only because cell service can be very spotty and vehicle help might be much farther away.
Keep those emergency kits well stocked in your car with the basics along with perhaps a box of granola bars. Should you get stranded in poor conditions, having some food and water become much more important.
Want to check Montana Wind Chill factors? You can do that anytime with this handy map. It refreshes quite often so having that tab open will give you real-time weather updates.