Friday Flash Flood Watch: Bridger Foothills Burn Scar Area
The devastating wildfires of last year come with consequences later...bad weather that is expected today is prompting a Flash Flood Watch for Gallatin County. This Watch pertains strictly to the drainage areas of the Bridger Foothills Burn Scar Area.
This Watch does NOT pertain to most of Gallatin County, but is focused on the areas immediately downstream from last year's Bridger Foothills Burn Scar area. (So folks in Gallatin Canyon need not be concerned about this Watch.)
Wildfires decimate the protective barriers that are naturally in place by trees, brush and other forest floor life. Please monitor the weather closely this afternoon as thunderstorms, rain, wind and hail are all expected.
- WHAT: FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH THIS EVENING.
- The National Weather Service in Great Falls has issued a Flash Flood Watch for a portion of southwest Montana, including the following area, Gallatin County.
- WHEN: From 3 PM this afternoon through Friday evening.
- WHERE: Basins within and immediately downstream of the Bridger Foothills Burn Scar.
- This watch is only valid for the Bridger Foothills Burn Scar, and does not include the remaining cities of Gallatin County.
- You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.
Those living within or downstream of the Bridger Foothills Fire Burn Scar should remain aware of changing conditions through the evening hours on Friday.
According to the National Weather Service:
Flood Watch: Be Prepared: A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for a specific hazardous weather event to occur. A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for flooding. It does not mean flooding will occur, but it is possible.
Be safe out there today!