THURSDAY: Red Flag Weather Warning for East Beaverhead
Thursday's weather south of Butte could be dangerous for fire potential with warm temps, gusty winds and low humidity. Ennis, Virginia City, Pony and Sheridan are all included in this Warning.
Please use caution on Thursday while in the outdoors. Any fire that is started during this time period will be difficult to contain, and perhaps difficult to reach in the first place.
According to the National Weather Service:
- RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 6 PM THURSDAY FOR FIRE WEATHER ZONE 111. (Please reference the fire zone map for the specific location.)
- The National Weather Service in Missoula has issued a Red Flag Warning for an area south of Butte, Montana. The risk of fire danger is increased by conditions on Thursday and any fires that start will be difficult to contain.
- WHEN IS THIS RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT: This is in effect from noon to 6 PM Thursday.
- WHERE IS THIS RED FLAG WARNING AFFECTING: Fire weather zone 111 (East Beaverhead).
- Cities that are included in this Red Flag Warning: Ennis, Pony, Virginia City, Sheridan, Twin Bridges, Dillon and Whitehall. (Pretty much all small towns between Butte and the Idaho border...)
- WINDS ON THURSDAY FOR THE AFFECTED AREA: 20 to 30 mph will be very typical on Thursday with gusts up to 40 mph.
- HUMIDITY ISSUES: 8 to 12 percent.
- IMPACTS OF THIS RED FLAG WARNING: Strong winds and low humidity will combine during the afternoon creating a critical period for fire weather. Any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly.
- Outdoor burning of any kind during this Red Flag Warning is not recommended. Fires, even small controlled burns can get out of hand quickly under these conditions.