UPDATE: Gallatin County Red Flag Warning Through Sunday Night
Western foothills in several counties could get 45 MPH wind gusts. Continued high temperatures and very low humidity continue to create extreme fire conditions.
Dozens of Montana counties are under Red Flag Warnings with slightly different weather descriptions. It's safe to say: IT'S DANGEROUS ALMOST EVERYWHERE THIS WEEKEND. PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
You'll also find a Fire Zone Map below to assist with location specifics.
According to the National Weather Service:
- RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON SATURDAY TO MIDNIGHT SUNDAY NIGHT.
- IMPACTS: Low humidities, hot temperatures, strong gusty winds, and wind shifts with two cold fronts will create erratic fire behavior and could cause new fire starts.
- AFFECTED AREA: In North Central WY Fire Zones...274...284. In South Central MT Fire Zones...123...124...125...126...127 128...129. In Southeast MT Fire Zones...130...131...132. In Southeast MT and Northwest SD Fire Zone...133.
- COUNTIES AFFECTED: In Central MT...Golden Valley...Musselshell...Wheatland. In North Central WY...Big Horn...Johnson...Sheridan...Washakie. In Northwest SD...Harding. In South Central MT...Big Horn...Carbon...Park...Stillwater Sweet Grass...Yellowstone. In Southeast MT...Carter...Custer...Fallon...Powder River Rosebud...Treasure. In Southwest MT...Gallatin.
- COLD FRONTS: Cold frontal passage this evening will bring a shift to northwest winds. A second cold front early Sunday will shift winds to the north and northeast.
- WIND: Saturday, west to northwest gusting 20-30 mph, with gusts to 45 mph along the western foothills. Sunday, northerly wind gusts of 20-30 mph.
- HUMIDITY: As low as 7-12 percent today, then 15-25 percent Sunday.
- TEMPERATURES: Highs 95-103 degrees Saturday, then 78-86 Sunday.
- A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now, or will shortly.
- A combination of strong winds, low relative humidity, and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.