SNOW: 6″ Possible for BZN Area Mountains by Tuesday Morning
Gusty winds are going to continue through Gallatin County with snow joining the fun. Not much accumulation is expected in town, but the mountains could see up to 6" of fresh snow.
Even with little snowfall, these gusty winds are going to make for some hazardous travel conditions. White-out conditions can develop very quickly. If you must travel during this period, closely monitor weather conditions.
- THERE IS A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM MONDAY TO 7 AM TUESDAY.
- Temperatures have fluctuated drastically in the last couple of days and will continue to do so.
- ROADWAYS MAY BECOME ICY AFTER DARK AS RAIN FREEZES before snow actually starts to fall.
- WHAT...Snow and blowing/drifting snow expected.
- Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches in the mountains. Less than a half inch is expected at lower elevations. Winds could be gusting as high as 45 mph causing difficult travel conditions.
- WHERE...Portions of central and southwest Montana.
- WHEN...From 9 PM Monday evening to 7 AM Tuesday morning. (Some surrounding counties have similar Advisories, but different time durations.)
- IMPACTS...Plan on challenging and slick road conditions during this time period. Areas of blowing and drifting snow could significantly reduce visibility. Several roads in Gallatin and Park Counties were difficult to navigate in the last couple of days due to snow drifts.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow accumulations at lower elevations is expected to be less than a half inch, because some of the precipitation will fall as rain.
- The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.
- Several counties are under a similar Winter Weather Advisory. Rain turning to snow and gusty winds will be a common issue across most of the state through at least Tuesday morning. (Some counties will have issues longer than that.)
Please use extreme caution during this Winter Weather Advisory. It's not a particularly long time period, but weather conditions could be quite volatile and road conditions very poor at times.